This is a 12-hour hands-on workshop on PostgreSQL with ultimate goal to make participants feel comfortable with the operations of Administrating, Monitoring & Optimization of PostgreSQL.
Who should attend
Anyone wishing to gain knowledge of PostgreSQL. This includes:
- DevOps Engineers
- Site Reliability Engineers (SREs)
- Software Engineers
The course will be more valuable for tech professionals with prior experience in using databases.
What will you learn
The course will start with core PostgreSQL architecture elements and then will progress incrementally with real world scenarios to cover the following topics:
- Introduction to PostgreSQL Architecture (memory model, filesystem, execution engine)
- Database Monitoring (key metrics and ways to collect them)
- Table and Index Management (Different Indexing Options, Data layout optimizations, VACUUM operations )
- SQL Performance Tuning using Query Planner and Metrics
- Transaction Management for optimizing Latency or Throughput, tuning WAL.
- Extensions (installing, managing, operating)
- Table Partitioning
- Connection Management and Pooling
- High Availability Architecture options
- Foreign Data Wrappers
- Database Security
- Upgrading Practices
We are using a real world instance running to test different scenarios, load data and run queries.