Kubernetes is the industry standard for deploying, managing and scaling containers in production and, at the same time, it has one of the largest open source communities. Because of the wide adoption of the platform to run containerized apps, secrets management is among the most prominent challenges faced by the teams deploying their code on Kubernetes installations, be they either managed (EKS, AKS, GKS, etc) or completely self-managed.
This 12-hour hands-on course builds upon the foundations of containerization and Kubernetes and deals with ways and best practices to protect valuable data such as passwords, keys, certificates and other secret information an application might need to have access to.
Who should attend
This course has been designed for anyone interested in learning about Secrets Management in Kubernetes but with a particular focus on:
- Kubernetes Administrators
- DevOps / Automation Engineers
- Platform Engineers
- Power Developers
This is not a Kubernetes introductory course. Certain things are taken for granted, like building and running containers, creating deployments, services and ingress on Kubernetes. Knowledge of configMaps and basic kubernetes secrets is also needed. Participants with a good understanding of these grasp the limitations currently by Kubernetes secrets and the need for more secure and complete solutions. It is them that will be able to make the most of the course and the hands-on exercises.
What will you learn
This 12-hour course focuses on effective strategies to store sensitive assets in Kubernetes in a way that’s protected against leaks and hacks. Participants will learn about the capabilities of Kubernetes secrets, the challenges, and alternative options to secure their applications and infrastructure. The following topics will be covered:
- The foundations of Kubernetes secrets
- Effective strategies for securing secrets in Kubernetes
- Kubernetes cryptographic options and how to apply them
- The HashiCorp Vault server on Kubernetes for secure secrets storage
- Managing security with public cloud providers
- Applying security concepts using tools from the Kubernetes ecosystem
- End-to-end secrets storage from development to operations
- Secrets management within Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Delivery (CD) processes
The course is taking place either virtually or at our premises in Eth. Antistaseos 62A, Chalandri.
(virtual) 23-25 October 2023, 10 am-2 pm (EEST)