Professional Scrum Product Owner™ is a 16-hour hands-on, activity-based course where students explore Professional Scrum and develop an understanding of the critical role that the Product Owner plays on the Scrum Team. Throughout the class, students learn a number of Product Ownership practices that they can use once they leave the classroom while also receiving an introduction to Agile Product Management.
All participants completing the PSPO course receive one password to take the PSPO I assessment. If you attempt the PSPO I assessment within 14 days of the class and do not score at least 85%, you will be granted a 2nd attempt at no additional cost.
Who should attend
This course is appropriate for students professionals in any industry where teams are working to solve complex problems. More specifically
- Professionals interested in starting a career as a Product Owner
- Product Owners with some experience in the role that are looking to improve their understanding or fix their misconceptions of Scrum and the Product Owner role
- Scrum Masters wishing to be an effective coach to Product Owners will also find valuable insights in this course
Especially for the Train the Trainer extra day, participants should have been formally recognized as Professional Scrum Trainer candidates prior to the class as described in this Scrum.org page.
What will you learn
The course learning objectives are:
- Increase business agility through the proper execution of the Product Owner role
- Recognize the value of a product over project mindset
- Learn how to bridge business strategy to product execution using Scrum
- Understand that the Product Owner is an Agile Product Manager
- Understand the Scrum Principles and Empiricism
- Understand the Product Owner accountabilities on the Scrum Team
- Learn how to align the team around the business strategy, product vision, Product Goal, and Sprint Goal
- Find ways to effectively communicate the business strategy, product vision, and Product Goal
- Learn techniques for Product Backlog Management, Release Management, and Forecasting
- Identify metrics that can be used to track value creation, and successful product delivery
- Discover techniques to interact with stakeholders, customers, and the members of the Scrum Team
Over the 2 days, participants will develop and solidify their knowledge of being a Product Owner through instruction and team-based exercises. The breadth of the role’s responsibilities in delivering a successful product will become more clear from an Agile perspective. Metrics are identified to track the creation of value and the successful delivery of the product to the marketplace.
The PSPO course is much more than just a set of slides and an instructor. In this course, participants work on real-life cases with other classmates together as a team. This course is made up of discussions and hands-on exercises.
About the instructors
Ralph Jocham works globally as an agile change agent helping customers of various business domains to improve their productivity, quality and throughput by using agile practices. Currently, Ralph’s main focus is targeted towards enabling management to understand agile and see how Scrum will benefit them in their given context.
Ralph co-designed the Professional Scrum Developer (Java) course and is Europe’s first Professional Scrum Master Trainer for Scrum.org since 2010.
The book The Professional Scrum Product Owner was written by Ralph Jocham and Don McGreal.
Anastasios Psarros (MSc Information Management) is an Entrepreneur, Management Consultant, Scrum.org Professional Scrum Trainer, and the current Scrum.org Professional Scrum Product Owner course Steward.
He has significant professional experience in various international sectors, e.g., IT, insurance, energy, retail, and finance, as a Product Owner, Scrum Master, Manager, and Managing Director. Anastasios has experienced the power of diverse, motivated teams during his tenures in Germany, USA, and Netherlands. He is passionate about helping companies on all continents unlock their full potential throughout their Agile journey, especially Managers, Leaders and Product Owners. To help lay the ground for an Agile world, he has been a lecturer for Agility and Scrum at the University of Applied Science in Koblenz, Germany since 2016.
Anastasios has helped the community by organizing one of the biggest Agile conferences in Germany, Scrum Deutschland, since 2015, and co-written two books on Scrum & Management and Responsive Enterprises.
Professional Scrum Certification
All participants completing the Professional Scrum Product Owner course will receive a password to attempt the Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO I) assessment. The industry-recognized PSPO I certification requires a minimum passing score of 85%. PSPO class participants who attempt the PSPO I assessment within 14 days of receiving their free password and do not score at least 85% will be granted a 2nd attempt at no additional cost.
PMI PDU Credits
Students of Scrum.org courses are able to claim Project Management Institute (PMI) PDU credit: 14 PDUs after attending a two-day Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO) course. Please note that PMI PDUs are earned for course attendance and not for passing a Scrum.org assessment. Students can claim PDUs under PMI’s “Education courses provided by other third party providers” category. You can claim your PDUs online at https://ccrs.pmi.org.
- Anastasios Psarros: 16-17 June 2022 10:00am – 6:00pm EEST (Virtual)
- Anastasios Psarros: 10-11 October 2022 10:00am – 6:00pm EEST (Virtual)
- Ralph Jocham: 17-18 October 2022 10:00am – 6:00pm EEST (in person)
- Anastasios Psarros: 5-6 December 2022 10:00am – 6:00pm EET (Virtual)